Jumping on the Bandwagon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jumping on the Bandwagon

Post  Reading Fan Dan on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:47 am

Allow me to introduce myself. I've been a Reading FC ticket holder for the majority of my adult life while spending all of my 26 years living in the town. I've always held an interest in the local non-league football scene and have visited a number of clubs throughout the years. Evening kick-offs at Wokingham Town's old Finchampstead Road ground and an F.A. Cup Fourth Qualifying Round match at Maidenhead United's York Road but to name a few! I've never really held an affinity to any of these clubs and don't particulary follow any of their results. However as a proud resident of Reading, born and bred, I've always kept an eye out for Reading's other football club, Reading Town FC, I've never actually attended a fixture at Scours Lane. This is more than likely to do with years of mid-table mediocrity and lack of local media coverage. I've had my share of this with the Royals!

Town currently find themselves top of the Hellenic League and look very good for promotion to the Southern Football League. Therefore its time for me to jump feet first onto the RTFC bandwagon! So whilst RFC play away out of town I will endeavour to get myself down to the Lane to begin an affair with my new football mistress, Reading Town Football Club.

Any advice/words of encouragement for this RTFC virgin?

Reading Fan Dan

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-02-04

http://bandwagonintown.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jumping on the Bandwagon

Post  sausage than a egg on Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:08 am

I popped down to watch a game in September 2009,im hooked goto all the home games and the away games,sometimes getting home near midnight on away games,good bunch of hardcore supporters and of course the legends-The Barmy Army!

Give it ago!

Ive been away to grimsby,doncaster etc to watch the Reading fc.

As in the classic phrase: "Why should I go to see them, they never come to see me when I'm bad" lol
sausage than a egg

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2009-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  RTFC Barmy Army on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:09 am

Always good to get someone new posting on the forum. My advice is to to enjoy your time at Scours Lane and get used to the surroundings. Hopfeully you get hooked on watching the Town and become a regular fan. Anyway I am off to the game tonight at Scours Lane cya all there.
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-10-26

http://www.readingtownfc.tk/

Back to top Go down

Post  CraneGod on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:25 am

Hey "Dan"

as a fellow Reading longstanding ST holder (a probably a fellow member of the HNA clique) I would just like to chip-in with my tenpenceworth.

Have taken my lad to about a dozen games over the past couple of seasons at Scours.

Fors:

£6 to get in..........free programme.........kids for free............parking for free

Promotional "cheap" alcohol in the club house............sometimes only £2 per pint

Plenty of dry areas to sit/stand

Plenty of funny and clean singing from at least three of the fifty attendees

A winning team!

Refs and lino's that explain themselves ..and the banter that you can have

Welcoming gate operatives

Againsts:

Disgusting (and sometimes unessessary) language eminating from both home and away players (not what parents want their kids to hear......................and by-christ you hear it when the ground has only 50 people there)

Lack of local radio coverage/lack of local awareness

All in all Dan, the club needs the gate money to progress, the games are raw but not too shabby. Whilst I cannot commit to being a full-time supporter, I can fully recommend a trip down there.

CraneGod

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi on Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Hi Dan, and welcome aboard.

I'm also an RTFC virgin and hoping to be making my debut to Scours Lane next month, plus bringing along an RFC supporter for good measure. I also keep a close eye on other local football from the RFL and the sunday sides, and with Wokingham & Emmbrook looking to come up to the Hellenic Prem next season, and Woodley Town starting to get to grips with the Hellenic, and possibly RT's neighbours Highmoor Ibis looking to join the Hellenic next season things are looking up locally.

Koshi

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  RTFC Barmy Army on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:13 am

CraneGod wrote:Hey "Dan"

as a fellow Reading longstanding ST holder (a probably a fellow member of the HNA clique) I would just like to chip-in with my tenpenceworth.

Have taken my lad to about a dozen games over the past couple of seasons at Scours.

Fors:

£6 to get in..........free programme.........kids for free............parking for free

Promotional "cheap" alcohol in the club house............sometimes only £2 per pint

Plenty of dry areas to sit/stand

Plenty of funny and clean singing from at least three of the fifty attendees

A winning team!

Refs and lino's that explain themselves ..and the banter that you can have

Welcoming gate operatives

Againsts:

Disgusting (and sometimes unessessary) language eminating from both home and away players (not what parents want their kids to hear......................and by-christ you hear it when the ground has only 50 people there)

Lack of local radio coverage/lack of local awareness

All in all Dan, the club needs the gate money to progress, the games are raw but not too shabby. Whilst I cannot commit to being a full-time supporter, I can fully recommend a trip down there.

The Town have just signed up with 107FM radio station which gives the club regular air time.

Dan I saw you posted on the goalpost forum and asked a few question and I will answer them for you. What are the facilties like? Good facilities down at Scours Lane have a good sized clubhouse with a well stocked bar. Is there a welcoming atmosphere? Welcoming atmosphere at the Lane, the guys on the gates always very helpful to tell where the clubhouse is and always cherpy. Where to park? Plenty of parking at the ground. Where to stand? You can stand behind the goal where the Barmy Army sing, so you could join us, sit in the stand opposite the dugout or stand anywhere else around the ground.

Any other questions let me know
RTFC Barmy Army
Admin

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-10-26

http://www.readingtownfc.tk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Reading Fan Dan on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:17 am

Fantastic news for the club that Reading 107fm will give Town some coverage. Hopefully this will promote the club in the local area and show that they mean business and aren't just a bunch of sunday league choppers, as is I believe the perception in the town. A very positive and promising move there. Also as Reading 107fm is backed by Sir John Madejski, perhaps he will be more willing to support RTFC in the future. A money spinning pre-season friendly and loaning a few academy starlets would be a start.

Many thanks for all your replies and making me feel I've decided I will be breaking my RTFC virginity this month! I can't make the game on the 13th as RFC have a 5th round FA Cup tie against West Brom. However I will certainly be there on the 20th for the game against Highworth Town. I'm trying hard to convince others to come and have a beer afterwards etc. See you all there!

Reading Fan Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  Reading Fan Dan on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:24 am

I've started a Blog to capture my visits and thoughts on visiting Scours Lane. Hopefully, with the right coverage it will encourage others to do likewise! Enjoy the read.

Reading Fan Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  Reading Fan Dan on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:45 am

I've just updated my blog for a more in depth view of my trip to the Lane on saturday. Enjoy it here!

Reading Fan Dan

Back to top Go down

Post  Koshi on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:42 am

Cheers for that Dan, a very interesting read.

I agree especially about your point about the location of Scours Lane it's probably not a hotbed of support....Oxford Road probably won't pull many punters along unless the clubhouse start serving halal burgers and having Tyskie or Lech beer on sale. The club need to reach out to attract support further than a few roads in Tilehurst.

Koshi

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top